Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Quick Update

Grant, O God, that your holy and life-giving Spirit may so move every human heart [and especially in Israel/Palestine and in the US], that barriers which divide us may crumble, suspicions disappear, and hatreds cease; that our divisions being healed, we may live in justice and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen
(Book of Common Prayer)


It’s been an amazing summer. Thinking back over it, I can’t believe that I have had these three experiences: three weeks studying peace at Eastern Mennonite University, two weeks in Israel/Palestine at a global Anglican conference, and then three weeks at a Trappist monastery (not to mention the great times in between at home with my family). These have definitely been undeserved gifts.

These three experiences may seem disconnected, but in actually are very integrated. At EMU I studied peace and gained key skills in peacework. In Israel/Palestine I put my new knowledge into action and began to see how this work could take shape. Finally, at the monastery I sought to become peace, in silence and solitude to have the Holy Spirit root out the violence in my own heart and to bring me the peace of his presence. I sought to become the kind of person that can be used by God for peace. I am still learning how much of my own work for peace and justice is simply a projection of my own insecurities, pain and inner violence on others.

I will be in North Carolina with my family until the 16th. Then I’ll be heading back to Chicago for my last year in my graduate program (Intercultural Studies, with an emphasis in community development).

One of the most exciting parts of this next semester will be living with Matt, a good friend of mine from Wheaton and from church. He lives in an apartment complex, which is made up of mostly refugees and immigrants. One of our neighboring families is from Rwanda and the other from Mexico. We will be living simply and seeking to get to know our neighbors. I’m excited to get to use my Spanish and Arabic!

Check it out:

Good News. Some Palestinians are going to the Olympics, against all odds!! Check out the encouraging story at: http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-06-03-voa23.cfm

Famine in India: One of my Indian peaceworking friends is currently working in India with famine relief where there is a really bad famine. This famine is in the Manipur South Districts and in the state of Mizoram. Are you in a position to help in any way? He can be contacted at: immanuelvarte@gmail.com

Great Book: “A book to provoke the Christian political imagination.“ If you haven’t read any of Shane Clayborn, you should. Here is the site of his new book: http://www.jesusforpresident.org/ His blog is great too, http://jesusforpresident.org/blog/

No comments: